DEADLINE: 28 June, 2018
Calling NGO representatives: apply to speak or attend Nelson Mandela Peace Summit to take place at UNHQ on 24 September. Noting that 2018 will mark the centenary of the birth of the late Nelson Mandela, the UN General Assembly has decided to convene a high-level plenary meeting to be known as the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit on 24 September 2018 at UN Headquarters in New York, in accordance with General Assembly resolution 72/243.
At the request of the Office of the President of the General Assembly (OPGA), the UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS) is facilitating a process to identify:
- stakeholders to attend the July meeting convened by the co-facilitators during the preparatory process;
- 1 stakeholder speaker for the September Nelson Mandela Peace Summit;
- stakeholders to attend the September Nelson Mandela Peace Summit as observers.
For the selected speaker:
Travel funding will be available from the UN to support the participation of the selected stakeholder speaker in the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit. The selected speaker will need to make his/her own visa arrangements, if needed for travel to the US, and cover the cost of the visa.
- Open to NGO representatives
- It is not a requirement for your organization to be in consultative status with ECOSOC to apply for this event.
Before submitting an application to attend the event, please:
- Review the background information for this event here.
- Confirm that the candidate meets all of the following criteria:
- is a representative of a stakeholder organization that has had a long-term programmatic focus on issues to be addressed in this event;
- has demonstrated the ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- has a visa for travel to New York, or is able to obtain one for travel to New York without assistance from the UN. Please check with the US Embassy or Consulate in the candidate’s country or place of residence.
For More Information: