DEADLINE: 31 August, 2018
The global community agreed in Paris to limit climate change in a way that protects people and the planet. Three years later, we still see countries giving large sums of money to fossil fuels, or planning to expand new coal and gas projects.
But we don’t have time to wait, the latest science tells us that we need rapid and far-reaching changes to a more sustainable future if we want to avoid the worst effects of climate change.
It is time to pressure our governments to stop developing new fossil fuel projects, and stop funding them, transitioning to a renewable energy and more fair economy.
Join us and write for a future without fossil fuels!
The 5 best writers of the competition will get a chance to attend the climate negotiations in December 2018, which will be held in Katowice, Poland for two weeks. There you will receive training on climate policy and journalism by Climate Tracker, get to attend the international climate negotiations and meet amazing people from everywhere in the world! You cannot miss this chance!
If you are from the Arab region, from Latinoamerica or Central Europe, we have designed specific competitions for you, with even more prizes (yay!) and in your language. Please check here:
- Arab region competition: https://act.climatetracker.org/66b682ba-b4db-4b18-b3e0-978ffc0bbfa3
- Competencia de América Latina: https://act.climatetracker.org/c9b75217-9cd8-4b7b-924c-251df75445c1
- Central Europe competition: (coming soon)
Don’t worry if there is no regional competition for where you are from – the global one is as much fun and will also bring you to Poland!
Do you want to participate? Follow these steps:
Between the 23rd of July and the 31st of August you have to write at least 2 articles about the 2 topics we are giving you.
- 1st topic (23rd July – 10th August): Stop new fossil fuel projects! Write about a fossil fuel project your Government is planning to implement, why they should stop it. Here a toolkit about this topic, with global info about oil, coal and gas, and country and region-specific examples!
- 2nd topic (13th August -31st August): Fund the transition! Write on how your government should stop subsidising/giving money to fossil fuel projects, and transition to a renewable energy model
Then you have to publish the articles in media in your country or region. It can be a newspaper, a magazine, an online news site, etc. Once your article is published, you have to submit the link to us through our Climate Tracker app (here: app.climatetracker.org). You may be asked to submit an extra article to finalise the selection process if it is too difficult to make a decision!
Climate Tracker will revise the articles submitted through the app, give you feedback and tips, and select the best writers. To help you write about these issues, we will prepare information toolkits, webinars with experts and give you help and feedback on how to pitch to editors, get an article published or learn more about climate in your region. To be up to date with the details of the program, check the app regularly, and contact us whenever you need!
For More Information: