APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31 January, 2021
Applications are open for the Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards 2021. The Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards recognise and celebrate the contributions that innovators in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors are making in advancing the sustainable development goals in Commonwealth countries.
The key objectives of the awards are to:
- Identify, highlight and support the innovations that show demonstrable potential for advancing sustainable development in Commonwealth countries.
- Help create an environment that will encourage and sustain funding, mentoring and support to scale up innovations led by governments, businesses, women, young people and not-for-profit organisations across the Commonwealth.
- Showcase the depth and breadth of innovation potential, grit, determination and creativity that exists across the Commonwealth.
- Inspire, encourage and challenge Commonwealth citizens to develop innovations that will make a positive difference to their communities, countries and the Commonwealth.
Three awards will be given in each of the following five categories:
- Improve the well-being of Commonwealth PEOPLE.
- Improve PROSPERITY in the Commonwealth.
- Protect the PLANET and the natural environment in the Commonwealth.
- Promote PEACE and justice in the Commonwealth.
- Promote PARTNERSHIPS for development in the Commonwealth.
In each of the five categories, one winner will be selected from the public sector (national/regional/local government), one winner from will be from civil society / not-for-profit sector and one winner will be an entrepreneur or a private sector company.
- Each award winner will receive a trophy, a certificate and prize money of £3,000.
- Award winners may also be invited to high-level forums such as the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting and the Commonwealth Games.
- Nominees can be individuals, groups or teams, organisations, companies, charities or government ministries / departments / agencies.
- Nominees must be directly engaged in developing their innovations, either in a full-time, part-time or voluntary capacity.
- Nominees must be Commonwealth citizens, governments or public sector organisations in Commonwealth countries, private enterprises based in Commonwealth countries or civil society / not-for-profit organisations based in Commonwealth countries.
- Nominated innovations must be able to demonstrate impact or potential in achieving progress on one or more of the 17 SDGs in a Commonwealth country (or countries).
- Nominees must be willing to take part in Commonwealth-supported activities and initiatives related to the Commonwealth Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards.
The winners will be selected by an independent and eminent panel of judges appraising them on:
- Level of achievement, impact or demonstrable potential of innovation to advance sustainable development in one or more Commonwealth countries; strategy, business/delivery plan and impact evaluation/results measurement framework.
- Level of innovation/fresh approaches to problem-solving.
- Quality of achievement and impact.
- Quality of the evidence and supporting documentation provided.
The deadline for applications is January 31, 2021.
For More Information: