DEADLINE: 24 August, 2018
The call for application is open for the International Training Workshop on Big Earth Data for Disaster Risk Reduction taking place 30 October-5 November, 2018 in Beijing, China. The workshop aims to strengthen the experience of Big Earth Data applications for DRR, and enhance the use of various data in DRR application platform. The workshop will provide a scientific and practical guide on DRR to the participants from developing countries along Belt and Road.
In response to the needs of developing countries along Belt and Road in disaster risk reduction to tackle the natural and human-induced environmental disaster, Digital Belt and Road Program (DBAR), jointly with Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) International Programme Office (IPO), IRDR China National Committee (IRDR CHINA), Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth (RADI),Chinese Academy of Sciences(CAS) and CAS-TWAS Centre of Excellence on Space Technology for Disaster Mitigation (SDIM) conducted an international research program (DBAR-Disaster) to strengthen science capacities for sustainable development and disaster risk reduction. In 2018, they will organize the International Training Workshop on Big Earth Data for Disaster Risk Reduction.
DBAR is an international research program for promoting cooperation with countries along the Belt and Road route to advocate and demonstrate the smart use and application of “Big Earth Data” in support of the sustainable development of people and economies at the local, national and regional levels. “Disaster management” is one of the key pillars of sustainable development in the DBAR, along with coastal zone management, agriculture and food security, environmental changes, urban development and heritage conservation.
Those applicants who have been selected will be provided round-trip international airfares between their home countries and Beijing (economy class), and the local expenses such as board and lodging, field tour, local transportation, etc. during the workshop.
As is customary, all the participants are advised to take adequate insurance towards health, medical, accident or any other health related incidences/cases during their stay in China. They shall not be responsible for such expenses.
They will track the performance of participants and ensure that the training is accomplishing its goals. The best workshop participants will have an opportunity to be provided travel grants for attending or presenting research at future seminars or conferences to be organized by DBAR.
- Young academicians and researchers in the field of disaster risk reduction
- Young practitioners from national/ local governments and civil society organizations
- Female applicants will be given priority.
- The language of the workshop is English. Knowing or speaking some Chinese will be an advantage.
As the number is limited to 20 people, only those who are qualified can be selected as formal participants.
- Applicants fill in the attached International Training Workshop Application Forms and submit them to the SDIM Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax +86-10-8217-8959.
- The selection group will routinely examine the applications and notify the applicants of the decisions. Invitations will be sent to the selected applicants for visa formalities at the same time.
For More Information: