DEADLINE: 30 September, 2018
The Miles Morland Foundation is pleased to announce that the 2018 Morland Writing Scholarships for African writers.
It can be difficult for writers, before they become established, to write while simultaneously earning a living. To help meet this need the MMF awards annually a small number of Morland Writing Scholarships, with the aim being to allow each Scholar the time to produce the first draft of a completed book. The Scholarships are open to anyone writing in the English language who was born in Africa or both of whose parents were born in Africa.
The purpose of the Scholarships is to promote literature and good writing. Submissions, including non-fiction submissions, will be judged solely on literary merit. Before you submit an entry ask yourself, or ask an objective friend, “does my entry show literary merit?” If the answer is “no” please do not make a submission.
- 2,000 – 5,000 words. Please note it should be a single submission from one piece of published work. Please do not send two or more submissions.
- A scan of the information page of your passport or another official document evidencing your place of birth.
- You will be expected to submit a proposal of up to 1,000 words of the work you intend to write during your scholarship year. The judges give close scrutiny to these proposals.
- Excerpts from your previously published work must be sent as a complete Word document. Anything sent not in Word, will not be accepted. If you want to accompany the Word document with a scan of your book or the magazine in which you were published to establish the published status of your work that can be helpful.
- The shortlist will be published in November and the winners announced in December 2018. At that time we will send an email to unsuccessful candidates, thanking them for their submission and informing them of the judges’ decision.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in November and asked to supply us with further information regarding their personal circumstances as well as their writing plans.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Miles Morland Foundation 2018 Morland Writing Scholarship