DEADLINE: 1 April, 2018
The purpose of the Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is to provide opportunities for Africa-based researchers with a PhD to pursue their own research projects, thereby indirectly strengthening the academic milieux in African countries. The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme,the Nordic Africa Institute can establish and maintain relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
- The scholarship programme is directed at postdoctoral researchers based in Africa and engaged in Africa-oriented research within the discipline of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- The applicant should be affiliated to an African university/research center and have a proven track record of extensive research experience.
- The Institute strives to achieve a fair distribution of scholarship positions in regards to gender and geographic focus.
- The scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 300 SEK (approx. 34 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 280 USD) and access to a computer in a shared office at NAI.
- The maximum duration of the stay is 90 days, minimum is 60 days. Please note that the subsistence allowance will be provided only for the days spent in Uppsala. Also note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants are thus asked not to choose these periods for their visit.
- The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Guest Researchers also have access to the Uppsala University Library, including their online resources, and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
The application should contain
- Application form
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if available online, please include links)
- Outline of research project, 5 pages:
– A well elaborated research proposal; the research topic must relate to the research themes of the Institute
– A work plan, including expected results, specific for the time spent at the Institute
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field, which confirms current affiliation and field of research. (Scanned versions of signed support letters can be emailed by the applicant.)
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Persons currently or previously employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not eligible for scholarships. Kindly also note that the application must be in English. In the extraordinary event that the Scholarship Programme for 2018 does not receive full funding, applicants will be informed immediately.
Submission of applications
Applications can be sent by post/airmail or by email. Applications sent by post/airmail should contain 2 copies of each document. Applications sent by email should contain only 1 copy of each document.
Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden.
Applications sent by email should be addressed to
Annika Franklin, Research Administrator, email: email@example.com
Please note: On the subject line of your email, write: “Application: Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme”. Scanned versions of signed support letters can also be sent to the above email address.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Nordic Africa Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme