DEADLINE: Midday, 6 August, 2018
The ACC is seeking to recruit a full-time PhD candidate who will be one of a cohort of 8 PhD candidates and 5 Post-Doctoral fellows based at the 5 partner universities that constitute the Pan African Research College on Sustainable Cities.One of the ‘wicked problems’ facing Cape Town and other African cities are their inequitable and unsustainable spatial patterns, which are being exacerbated by new formal and informal urban growth. To help better understand this challenge, the successful candidate will be required to do a PhD on a topic related to the issue of urban sprawl and land use dynamics in Cape Town and the implications of this for households and urban governance. It is anticipated that this research will contribute towards current academic debates as well as make a meaningful impact on policy and practice concerning the need for appropriate and innovative ways to manage urban land towards greater socio-spatial transformation in African cities.
- Funding and supervisory support will be provided to the successful candidate over a period of 3 years, depending on satisfactory progress.
- The bursary amount is R200,000 per year.
- A Master’s degree in Geography, Urban Studies, Anthropology, Sociology or other related discipline
- Excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in MS Office software
- Good qualitative and quantitative research skills.
- Evidence of academic writing ability.
- An awareness of actors, challenges and opportunities related to urban sustainability approaches
- Interest in interdisciplinarity and broad engagement with diverse sectors to co-produce knowledge
- Familiarity with the use of social media platforms
- Planning and organising as well as good time-management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Applicants are requested to provide a short (not more than 800 words) written piece of their initial thoughts on potential PhD topic on the topic of “Urban Sprawl and Land use Dynamics in Cape Town”.
- Please submit your application, including a CV with names and contact details of 2 referees, to Maryam Waglay, African Centre for Cities via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or posting/delivering to Maryam Waglay, African Centre for Cities, Room 2.11, Environmental and Geographical Sciences Building, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa 7701.
- Please clearly state that this is an application for the “ACC Pan African Research College PhD Scholarship”.
For More Information: