DEADLINE: 19 January, 2018
Applications for the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program 2018. The YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is looking for young men and women from across West Africa who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The Emerging Leaders Program will teach young African leaders about modern leadership over a period of 17 weeks. The program will be broken down into four phases – a 5 week coursework phase delivered in-person or online and the remaining 12 weeks distributed equally among a mentorship program, internship or community service, and a report writing period.
Focusing on the 5 week coursework phase, it will entail three core courses (Leadership and Accountability, Ethics, and Contemporary issues affecting Africa) and one elective course selected from a sample of three courses covering three themes, namely Entrepreneurship, Public Policy and Management, and Civil Society Management. The in-person training will be conducted in Ghana at the Accra RLC whereas the on-line course will be available from any location around West Africa. Course facilitators/trainers will be selected from among proven leaders from Africa and around the world.
The leadership training program has developed and will continue to develop partnerships with leading universities from the United States and Ghana, international and local development organizations as well as the private sector in-order to develop and implement a strong and innovative curriculum that will produce transformative leaders in Africa.
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
- Civil Society Management: This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
- Public Policy and Management: This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks
- At the end of the programs participants will be awarded with certificate and become a member of the Yali Alumni
- Participants will be taking through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership role in their various endeavors.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is a merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
- Are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The management of the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra reserves the right to verify all of the information included in the application.
Complete the online application.